semaphore n : an apparatus for visual signaling with lights or mechanically moving arms
1 send signals by or as if by semaphore
2 convey by semaphore, of information
EtymologyBorrowed in 1816 from etyl fr sémaphore, coined in French from Ancient Greek σῆμα, and -φωρος, from φέρω.
- Any visual signaling system with flags, lights, or mechanically moving arms.
- A visual system for transmitting information by means of two flags that are held one in each hand, using an alphabetic code based on the position of the signaler’s arms.
- A bit, token, fragment of code, or some other mechanism which is used to restrict access to a shared function or device to a single process at a time, or to synchronize and coordinate events in different processes.
visual signaling system
visual signaling with flags
- Dutch: semafoor
Semaphore may be:
- Traffic semaphore, another name for automotive traffic lights based on their early resemblance to railway semaphores
- Turning semaphore, retractable semaphores on automobiles from the 1920s to 1950s
- Semaphore (programming), in computer science, a mechanism for supporting mutual exclusion in concurrent programs
- Semaphore, South Australia, a historic seaside community in southern Australia
- Semaphore railway line, Adelaide, a closed railway line in Adelaide South Australia
- Semaphore (album), a 1998 album by the band Fridge
- Semaphore, fictional professor in Cubitus comic strips or Wowser cartoons
semaphore in Czech: Semafor
semaphore in German: Semaphor
semaphore in Spanish: Semáforo (desambiguación)
semaphore in French: Sémaphore
semaphore in Italian: Semaforo
semaphore in Hebrew: סמפור
semaphore in Dutch: Semafoor
semaphore in Polish: Semafor
semaphore in Russian: Семафор
semaphore in Swedish: Semafor
semaphore in Vietnamese: Semaphore (định hướng)
Roman candle, aid to navigation, alarm, amber light, balefire, beacon, beacon fire, bell, bell buoy, blinker, blue peter, buoy, caution light, flare, fog bell, fog signal, fog whistle, foghorn, glance, go light, gong buoy, green light, heliograph, high sign, international alphabet flag, international numeral pennant, kick, leer, marker beacon, nod, nudge, parachute flare, pilot flag, poke, police whistle, quarantine flag, radio beacon, red flag, red light, rocket, sailing aid, semaphore flag, semaphore telegraph, sign, signal, signal beacon, signal bell, signal fire, signal flag, signal gong, signal gun, signal lamp, signal light, signal mast, signal post, signal rocket, signal shot, signal siren, signal tower, spar buoy, stop light, the nod, the wink, touch, traffic light, traffic signal, watch fire, white flag, wigwag, wigwag flag, wink, yellow flag